Westchester Children’s Association (WCA) is a multi-issue child advocacy organization working to keep children and youth at the top of the public agenda in Westchester County, NY. We work simultaneously on a variety of legislative, policy, and community mobilization initiatives.
WCA offers a variety of internships throughout the year. These internships provide hands-on opportunities to develop your skills, gain work experience, and make real contributions on a variety of children’s issues in Westchester County.
Internships generally require a commitment of at least 14 hours per week for a semester, although there is some flexibility. Most WCA internships are unpaid, although students may be eligible for stipends from their college or university. Students may receive academic credit for their internship.
Communications Internship Description
WCA is seeking an intern to help us implement our communications strategy. Working with the WCA staff, the intern will help spread WCA’s message by supporting our online engagement and crafting digital and print content. An ideal candidate for this position will have strong written and verbal communication skills, including an understanding of various communication mediums and styles.
Responsibilities may include:
- Spreading WCA’s message through social media, website, blog, email, etc.
- Crafting and posting updates, responding to comments, and participating in online discussions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Write, edit, and proofread content for website, newsletters, flyers, emails, blog, etc.
- Maintain website, making updates as needed
- Research new methods of communicating our message in the most effective way possible.
- If proficient in Spanish, assisting with the translation of WCA’s material into Spanish.
Other assignments may be developed based on intern interest, ability and initiative.
- Ability to create clear, compelling, original written content that is consistent with WCA’s established style, voice and tone and adheres to grammatical conventions
- Ability to prioritize work, manage time efficiently, and adapt with flexibility
- Precise attention to detail, including proofreading skills
- Ability to work without supervision and to take initiative
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Willingness to learn new skills and accept constructive criticism
- Demonstrated experience with social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, preferably in a professional setting
- Skills related to graphic design, photography, infographics, videos or other creative content a plus
- Experience using Wordpress or Google Analytics a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
Send a resume, cover letter and relevant writing sample to Denise Killeen at DKilleen@wca4kids.org. Include Communications Intern in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
This internship is unpaid, but students may be eligible for stipends from their college, or to receive academic credit for their internship.