Westchester Children’s Association (WCA) is a multi-issue child advocacy organization working to keep children and youth at the top of the public agenda in Westchester County, NY. We work simultaneously on a variety of legislative, policy, and community mobilization initiatives.
WCA offers a variety of internships throughout the year. These internships provide hands-on opportunities to develop your skills, gain work experience, and make real contributions on a variety of children’s issues in Westchester County.
Internships generally require a commitment of at least 14 hours per week for a semester, although there is some flexibility. Most WCA internships are unpaid, although students may be eligible for stipends from their college or university. Students may receive academic credit for their internship.
Research and Data Internship Description
WCA is seeking an intern to assist our data team with collecting, analyzing, and presenting data pertaining to the well-being of children and youth. Interns will have the opportunity to learn how to leverage data science for social good by researching key indicators.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing support to Director of Data Analysis
- Conducting research on various children’s issues by gathering and analyzing data from government agencies, community based organizations and other research organizations
- Analyzing and presenting data to reduce complex information to simple descriptive statistics
- Producing data visualizations, including infographics and interactive maps
- Contributing to WCA’s data blog
Other assignments may be developed based on intern interest, ability and initiative.
- Excellent attention to numeric detail
- Excellent online research skills
- Ability to take initiative and work unsupervised
- Proficiency in Excel and basic mathematical computations
- Knowledge of relational databases a plus
- Experience in graphic design a plus
- Willingness and ability to learn
Send a resume and cover letter to Limarie Cabrera at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Research and Data Intern in the subject line of your email. No phone calls please.
This internship is unpaid, but students may be eligible for stipends from their college, or to receive academic credit for their internship.